It's amazing how much power food--and our access to it--has over us. Ever since we got here I've been relying on a very small number of pantry items for daytime consumption and our nightly delivery of takeout. I had Woinshet (our helper) go to the store once to get a few items, but I didn't really know what was available. There is also a slight language barrier so I just asked for a few very basic things. However, last night Sevak introduced me to a grocery delivery app and I think it's changed my life! It's called Asbeza (it means "groceries" in Amharic). I got some fresh fruits and veggies, spices, lentils, and chips. Just having something fresh to offer the kids besides bananas and oranges was wonderful (strawberries, guava, and soursop were on the menu today). I also made some okra to go along with our dinner delivery (which was some Ethiopian/African stuff today). Anyway, that sure brightened my mood.
I've also been feeling better for a couple of other reasons: (1) My sleep schedule is pretty much on track. (2) People have been coming to the house to do small repairs for which Sevak has put in work orders. Our house is great, but there are some quirky aspects, and knowing that I won't have to live with a clogged shower or malfunctioning door is just very cheering. Finally, (3) I feel like I'm becoming a little more comfortable with our maid and gardener. It was awkward at first having strangers in my home and yard, and I didn't quite know what to tell them or how to handle our relationship. However, they are very self-motivated and don't really need me to tell them anything. :) We have them both for the whole day, Monday-Friday. I was worried about Woinshet not having enough to do for that whole time, so in lieu of making up some strange task in the afternoons, I've started just kind of chatting with her and having her teach me a little Amharic. I'm sure once our stuff arrives and we get on a regular schedule there will be plenty to keep her busy, but for now this arrangement is great. It helps me get through the loneliness of quarantine as well. And as far as Alemu the gardener is concerned, he does a lovely job maintaining our yard and manning the gate. He doesn't really speak much English at all, but always slightly bows to me and smiles when we make our small exchanges. I feel very blessed to have these good people in our life.
One other thing I have to share is an experience that really brought me a lot of joy yesterday. There is a 2nd-story window on one side of our house that was splattered with stucco from a worksite next door. Sevak asked the landlord (who happens to own both our house and the neighboring under-construction building) if he could take care of the cleaning. I was sitting in the yard with Woinshet when there was a knock at the gate. Without opening the gate, Alemu spoke to the visiting party, who were apparently here to fix a broken window. I said I didn't know anything about that, and they weren't embassy people, so Alemu sent them off. The conversation went on a little while longer until I realized that they were maybe here to clean the window. They came in the yard, took a look at the thing, and went out to grab some supplies...newspaper, Windex, and a little handbrush thing. No ladder. The lady and two men came inside the house and went up to the 2nd level balcony. The lady stayed on the balcony while the 2 guys climbed over the ledge and hung on to the window grille to spritz and brush. I loved everything about this interchange...from the initial kerfuffle at the gate to the interesting manner in which they accomplished their task.
I'm sure as I get more settled and my life gets busier I won't bother to record such stuff. Any little new thing is thrilling to me now. Maybe that's the beauty of quarantine!
| Remember that this is the 2nd level, and there is no balcony--or ladder--below them. |
| How many uses can we find for this one baking pan of ours? Due to a broken microwave, it has become our s'more maker! |
| Superhero Zinnia. Getting creative with a piece of paper that came in a box and a ribbon. |
2 comments:
So glad you started this again! Love ya.
This post made me emotional. I think these little things, like the folks cleaning the window, and the small nonverbal exchanges with your home-keepers are the kind of stories and memories I long for. I love this about developing nations - the peace and simplicity of ordinary tasks, the quiet understanding, and the contentment people have with their jobs that is missing in the west. Please keep sharing the everyday tidbits! Just really calming and beautiful to read after a frenetic day of meetings and absorbing the radiation waves from my laptop screen.
Post a Comment