We reached the halfway point of our quarantine! Yesterday was Friday, which is our traditional pizza and movie night. There is a small commissary at the embassy, so Sevak picked up some frozen pizzas and pints of Ben & Jerry's. Don't ask what any of these items cost--suffice it to say, $$$$. I miss our comparatively huge commissary in Germany which had a large selection of very reasonable products. Anyway, the expensive comfort food from the embassy really helped bring us some joy. Also, I'm usually a pretty adventurous/unsqueamish eater, but I read these articles about mycotoxins and now I'm kinda freaking out:
file:///Users/sevaktsaturyan/Downloads/toxins-12-00648.pdf.
https://www.ilri.org/publications/aflatoxin-m1-contamination-milk-greater-addis-ababa-milk-shed-ethiopia
I'm not going to let it paralyze me but I will probably rely a lot on the items we packed in our consumables shipment (which probably won't get here for quite a while, but whatevs).
Let's see...what else are we doing for fun? I've been saving every empty food container and preserving them like gold for their value as potential toys.
| Figuring out what the do with empty water bottles and caps. |
| Making a slinky out of a water bottle. |
Zinnia also made a couple of books, with my assistance as transcriber. Please enjoy the following.
| Once upon a time there was a head and he lived in the forest. He had a baby, and the baby had a friend. |
| The mommy pooped. The end. |
Okay, this next one has a little bit more of a storyline:
| Once upon a time, there was a mommy and daddy cucumber. |
| They fed their babies porridge. Then the babies played with toys and teddy bears. |
| They noticed that their toys had hair on them. "This is yucky!," they said. The hair came from a toy dog. "Let's wash the toys in the sink!" |
| Now the toys were clean again and they had fun. |
This morning I went on a "run" around the perimeter of the house. I took a couple of laps but it got old. Yuka also kept trying to jump on me. Youtube workouts have been saving me. By the way, take a look at the under-construction building next to us:
| Pretty sweet scaffolding, right? "Type" to you soon! -Chrissie |
3 comments:
Whoa, new look! I'll try to learn more about the milk toxins. Honestly, the US food supply chain is full of poison. You just didn't know about it before. Try not to let it freak you out. I'm glad you all had an American treat. It must be a hard adjustment after being stateside for so many months. But the beauty will emerge just like it did everywhere else you went. So glad I can tune in!
Yes this initial period reminds me a lot of out first few months in Guyana. Uber challenging, but if it is going to be anything like the rest of Guyana then we are in for some real cool adventures.
Swati, you are such a comfort to me. And thanks, "Chrissie" (Sevak) for your comment too. :)
Post a Comment