Thursday, February 21, 2008

Strange and Mysterious Things...


Apparently there was a lunar eclipse last night. By the time I found out, I think it was pretty much over, but I didn't bother going out to see because I wasn't appropriately dressed (and I certainly didn't want to expend any energy putting on some jeans!). So anyway, I'll just take everyone's word for it. The thing that was really interesting to me, however, was the fact that about a half hour before I knew anything was supposed to happen, all of the dogs in the neighborhood started barking and howling simultaneously. I am totally serious--at first I thought it was some sort of a siren. After being informed of the eclipse, I hypothesized that it maybe had something to do with the barking. It was really strange and mysterious...

Speaking of strange and mysterious, I just realized that I totally forgot to put a safety pin in my pants last night, thereby welcoming the possibility of having a cleft-lipped child! One of my former students told me to use this remedy during the powerful times of lunar eclipses, but I did not follow her admonition (see comment in former post here). Well, hopefully my prenatal vitamin will make up for any lack of superstitiousness.

Oh, speaking of superstitiousness, I just started reading The Call of the Weird: Travels in American Subcultures. The first chapter is about UFO and alien enthusiasts. It is so funny. The author is British, so he's obviously good with satire. However, my number one recommendation for an exposé of strange American subcultures goes to Road Scholar by Andrei Codrescu. The author is a Romanian guy who travels across America and visits all sorts of interesting people. He also made a movie by the same title.

Anyway, that's enough strangeness for one day.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Dogs barking during a lunar eclipse...spooky. Sounds like a teenage romance novel. Yeah I do think we have the same kitchen table. The seats are a real bummer. They get dirty so easily. I always covet nice kitchen tables when we go to furniture stores. One of these days...;)