Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Happy Memorial Day--Armenian Style

Today we got together with some friends for yet another barbecue. The husband served his mission in Armenia, so we did things Armenian style. The guys made khorovats, which is basically Armenian barbecue. Peter used his real shishes from Armenia. Kathleen made a delicious tomato and cucumber salad, and I made dolmah. I missed taking pictures of those dishes, but here are some meat-centric photos:


Skewering pork and sitting like real Armenian men


Yummy (even yummier when fully cooked)

While we waited for the wood to burn down (yeah, we used real wood--not charcoal), Rose and Lucy played. Here they are enjoying some bubbles:



This next picture is hilarious. We were all talking near the barbecue, and looked over to see the girls just lying in the grass. They were there for such a long time! I couldn't believe their attention spans would allow them to just lie there doing nothing. I guess they were enjoying the cool summer grass.



Anyway, it was a fun and yummy evening.

2 comments:

Robin said...

That's interesting that you used pork for shish kebab. Was it from pork tenderloin? I've just always had beef or lamb for kebab. I'm pretty sure "Hoagie Haven" in Princeton used pork exclusively for their souvlaki, which of course was unbelievably delicious. I wish I could've been at your barbecue today!

Sevak Tsaturyan said...

Yes, Pork is very much an Armenian Kabob. Lamb is of course preferred but it being expensive people use pork over there. Beef is almost never used for kabobs (khorovats).