Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Rose and Simon Updates

Right now we're in Northern California (we were previously in SoCal) hanging out with our fam and getting a feel for the area, since we will be moving here after we graduate (Have I mentioned that on the blog yet? Well, consider it mentioned.). Anyway, I'm here in the hotel and just decided to record some cute little things the kids have been doing.

For the past few weeks, Rose has been calling Sevak by his first name. Sevak isn't that enthused by it anymore, but it just cracks me up. She usually refers to him as "Daddy," but she loves to imitate me as I loudly yell, "Sevak!!" She hasn't yet called me by my first name--probably because it's not yelled as loudly and as often as Sevak's is (I'm too critical and angry; it's not that I'm better behaved than Sevak). :) Ever since we've been in California, we've all been sleeping in the same room. Just the other morning Rose woke up early as usual, but she decided to give us a break and lay quietly in bed for a while. We could hear her whispering to herself, "Sevak--blanket...Sevak--blanket." I don't know the precise meaning of that two-word sentence, but it sure was cute.

Oh yeah, that reminds me--she has been communicating in multiple-word sentences more and more frequently. She is very good at indicating possession (e.g. "Simon milk") and desire (e.g. "I wah walk").

She also continues to love her brother (and beat him up). Lately she has been enjoying getting into his pack 'n' play with him (I have to keep a very careful eye on her when this happens). She hugs him and laughs at him and he usually laughs in response. They are becoming more and more interactive and it's so cute. She addresses him as "Simeen" now instead of "baby."

Poor little Rose has been missing her friends in Utah, and I can tell she's just itching for a playmate. The other day at the zoo she saw a little girl and kept saying "ha" (hand) as she extended her arm, which is her way of saying that she wanted to hold her hand. We had to explain to her that we don't hold strangers' hands. Also, the other day I was walking with her around the cul-de-sac and we came upon a father and sons playing basketball. A little girl was out there playing, too, and Rose caught a glimpse of her toys and kept trying to get in on the action. However, I felt kind of weird asking the dad if my daughter could play with his daughter, as they had already stopped their basketball game so we could safely pass and I felt weird imposing on any kind of family event. One thing is certain--I need to find a friend for Rose in France. I think both she and I will go bonkers if I don't.

As for Simon, he can now sit up on his own for short periods of time. He is very friendly and polite, and will often produce coy smiles when praised. He spits up like there's no tomorrow, so our clothing and carpets have taken quite a beating. He loves to "sing" and coo. He is also starting to discover his hands more--the other day he kind of reached for a hanging toy.

So that's that--I'm off to the jacuzzi now!

No comments: