Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Getting Down to Business

Ever since I finished my coursework, I've been scared to even mention the "T word" (thesis). Whenever anyone brought it up, I would cringe and quickly change the subject. It has been so daunting! I didn't want anyone to have any expectations of me actually finishing because...what if I didn't? Well, Sevak has been gently suggesting that I work on it because, after all, I'm so close (not to mention the fact that we've taken out a fair amount of student loans under my name...wouldn't want that to have been for nothing). My friend who is also a mother of two has also been getting things underway with her thesis...she is so inspiring! So anyway, Sevak has arranged his schedule to allow me to work on Mondays and Wednesdays. I'm finally making this a public matter...maybe the accountability will help me get my rear into gear. Ignore the fact that I'm blogging instead of writing right now...just think of this as the kick-off email. ;)

P.S. Sevak is currently at the zoo with the kids right now, in case you're wondering.

9 comments:

Swati said...

You can totally do it! You've always been a thorough researcher and writer. I think you'll have it done in no time, and soon enough you'll have your degree. If it makes you feel anymore, I'm constantly feeling overwhelmed too. We can get through anything though! Remember the kind of grades we used to make in school? I know you have kids, but I think that just means it'll take you a teensy bit longer. You still have the ability though GF!

Chrissie said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Swati! I'm just gonna focus on our old high school days...we rocked! ;)

selway2005 said...

YAY! It's not as bad as it sounds, I promise...it's just getting started that is rough. We can do this, I know we can. The thing is to not make it bigger than it really is, just think of it as a paper and expand on it. Good luck!

Lisa and Mark said...

for the record - pretty much every time i blog, i'm supposed to be doing my homework. hee hee.

Robin N said...

First of all, "Go Sevak" for being such a great dad and prodding you to go for the thesis! Secondly, "Go Chrissie" for getting back into your Master's work. You know how I've felt all these years never finishing my well-intentioned Master's (guess it's never too late even though I'd most certainly not go for OB!) I'll be your "Dr. Lachman" (right, Swati?) so you can have some accountability. Just don't wait 'til the last minute as done with the progeria paper! hehe Oh, those treacherous all-nighters. Parents never forget 'em!

Swati said...

Robin! Now I'm remembering the good ol' days. We were such stress cases with school. We had so much fun though. That Dr. Lachman sure did tighten the screws on us. It was great though. I'll tell him yall said hi next time I visit. MIss you guys!

PS. Sorry for the typo in my older post.

Robin N said...

Miss you, too, Swati!! You, Chrissie, Meg, and your fellow brainiacs were definitely a fun group to be around. Yes, we truly need to get together sometime soon in Corona! I'm craving Miguel's and the smell of orange blossoms on Highgrove. In a weird way, I'm even missing the library...best darn city library I've ever been to...OK, Chrissie, Palm Desert's was probably the best! Love you, Girls!

Craig said...

Chrissie, you are the epitome of, "whatever you can conceive and believe, you can achieve"! Don't ever short change yourself, you have proven yourself capable of greatness and will continue to do so.

The next few months will pass along regardless...why not achieve your masters at the end of that time?

Go Chris!

Swati said...

I totally agree with Craig! And I miss you too Robin! We need to have a reunion soon once the semester calms down. I'm sure Sevak will attest to the craziness of business school. It's eating me alive! But it's great. Go Chrissie M.A. !!