Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Random Post with a Few Funny Anecdotes

I've been up for a while because the kids woke up briefly around 6:00, and there's no way I can fall asleep again for that remaining hour that I might have caught otherwise. They have not been sleeping well at all lately. Simon in particular wakes up a few times a night. Last night we didn't go in to him and I just assume he fell back asleep, but the night before we had to take him out of the room for a little while because he was being too loud for Rose. Sigh. Maybe this is just newborn prep. A couple mornings ago I asked him what's going on, and he said there were sounds outside. Maybe it was the rain that put him on edge. Also, we ran out of diapers so have been using Pull-Ups...maybe he has more sensation now when he wets himself and that rouses him?

Speaking of Pull-Ups, we're in the early stages of potty training with Simon. A couple of weeks ago he insisted on wearing underwear, so I reluctantly put some on. We went to the library and I forgot to bring extra clothes, so I was really nervous. Well, he successfully used the library potty AND the park potty! Funny thing is, the accidents started occurring when we got home. Since then, he's been using Pull-Ups and has successful potty visits every now and then. Yesterday he kept alerting me that he needed to use the potty--about 5 seconds after he peed. At least he's recognizing each and every incident instead of letting them slide!

Here's a funny little anecdote related to potty training: I was putting a Pull-Up on Simon after he used the potty, and that sparked some questions about male and female anatomy. I explained that he has parts like Daddy and Rose has parts like Mommy. He was a little upset that I had girl parts and that his and mine did not match, so he told me, "you're not a girl; you're a mommy!"

And since we're talking about funny kid quotes, here are some more:

Lately Rose has been talking about Asian stuff a lot. For example, the other day the kids were pretending to be "Asian." I don't really know what that means, nor do I think they know what it means, but I know Rose sees it as something positive because we are always eating at Asian restaurants. In fact, the other day Simon had a "China" sticker on him (something he had peeled off a plastic ball). I told him it said "China" on it, and he said, "it have noodles on it."

Rose is now in the Sunbeams class at church, which means she attends Primary instead of nursery. She is always so excited to go every week, and I love how she reports back to me on what she learned. These are not full-length, post-church reports, though. They're little things she nonchalantly throws into everyday conversation. For example, when we were eating, she told me that her teacher said "not to chew like this: (she opened and closed her mouth widely, showing the food inside)." Oh, and funny thing: she calls her teacher the "snack teacher." I tried to correct her by saying, "Oh, your Sunbeams teacher?" Apparently not. She's the snack teacher.

Another thing Rose learned at church, as illustrated in the following conversation:

Rose: What's an animal that's black with triangle ears?
Me: Hmm...a cat?
Rose: Yes, but also a musk ox.

Yet, she also retains the spiritual stuff. A little while ago she made reference to the Holy Ghost, per a lesson she learned. :)

To end, here's a pic of the kids having a tea party yesterday. And let's face it, I mostly want to show off what an awesome job I did of making this geodesic dome out of newspaper. The kids helped...a little. :) :

Instructions here.

3 comments:

Swati said...

You're not a girl, you're a mommy!

And I just had to Google musk ox. Nice.

Another wonderful simple pleasures post. I love how both Rose and Simon are crackups.

Megan said...

Hehehe--I love my niece and nephew :)

Robin N said...

TOTALLY impressed with that geodesic dome, Chrissie! I obviously loved the "Simon and Rose comments" too! ;)