Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Tsaturyan Surrealists

You needn't look far to find a good dose of surrealism in the Tsaturyan home!

For starters, feast your eyes on this papier-mâché toilet, created for a "potty party" (which I threw to get Simon psyched for potty use):


Rose graciously decorated the liftable toilet seat, although you can't really tell from this picture

And here is Simon's rendition of George Washington channeling the beloved 70's rock band, Kiss:


You know, we don't limit ourselves to fine art. Literature (okay, oral literature) is one of our specialties. Just the other day we were bored out of our minds, so Sevak and I tried to get the kids to join us in a rousing game of "create-a-story." It's that game where everyone says a sentence to create one hilarious jumble. Here is our creation:

One day a silly duck decided to go for a walk in the forest.
Then a fox ate him and he died.
So the fox decided to go to the village to scare an old lady.
Fox ate him and he died and threw up, and eyeball died.

Hmmm....can you guess who added that last sentence?

We thought we might have more success with the one-word-at-a-time variation, but this is all we could come up with:

My eyeball is very eyeball eat him up and he died.


Last but not least, here is Rose's own created story, which I can only assume is inspired by our previous attempts as a family:


Once upon a time there was an old lady who ate people and it was soooo delicious and she went into the woods to kill bears and foxes and marmots and she ate them all up. The end.


My only question is, what's a marmot and how does my daughter know about them?

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

I love Tsaturyan surrealism! You illustrated perfect examples. Seriously, your kids are geniuses.

I only learned what a marmot was when we went to Yellowstone in July 2010. Scaling the yellow canyon at Lower Falls was, what I thought, a beaver. My father-in-law set me straight. When the three of us finished Uncle Tom's Hike and met up with Symphany and my mother-in-law, we told her about the little creature. She queried what we had spotted: "A yellow-bellied varmint?!" We still laugh about this malentendu today.

Swati said...

THIS WAS HILARIOUS. I must say, you are one talented pottymaker. What did you use to shape that thing!? And I too had a fascination for cannibalism storytelling. Such well rounded renaissance men and women in the Tsaturyan household.

Robin N said...

Chrissie, this was great! I, too, am curious how you made that toilet? At first, I thought your African drum was its base then I knew it would've been too tall for the toilet.

By the way, with Simon's fascination with eyeballs, remind me to ask Uncle Bill to draw one of his "cartoon" eyeballs for him. When he was a teenager, he drew the most outlandish eyeballs with arms and legs...all kinds of features. You know, of course, that he's a "doodler extraordinaire"!!

Chrissie said...

Okay guys, about the toilet: I made a form out of an old cardboard box (basically just flattened it into a rectangle). Then I cut a series of slits about halfway up from the bottom and folded those slits inward, kind of overlapping. I used tape to keep it all together and then covered it with newspaper (which was dipped in a solution of glue and water). The tank is a regular box covered with the newspaper. The black handle is made of craft foam.