Thursday, April 24, 2008

Mommy/Daughter Vacation

Rose and I are at my parents' house right now and we miss Sevak so much! I haven't posted in a while because I've been out and about and/or sleeping (I feel like I'm the zombie now, so I do what I can to combat my fatigue).

Yesterday we went to a children's consignment store and the owner gave me a comprehensive tutorial on car seats. I wasn't expecting that, but she happened to notice that Rose's strap covers weren't in the right position. I guess they kind of need to be on top of the shoulders so another little clip can work properly. She [the owner] ended up taking all the straps out and readjusting them. It was nice to finally learn how to do all that stuff.

Next, we went to the mall, which of course prompted my mom's insistence on buying me something. She got me a pretty black skirt (thanks, Mom!).

Finally, we went to an Asian supermarket, which was an interesting experience to say the least. If you're looking for shrimp chips, whole chickens (head and all), or dining sets, this is the place for you! (The dining sets are right next to the built-in food court, on the other side of the store from "Bank of the Orient") The only thing I didn't see for sale was a kitchen sink. Oh, another interesting tidbit--our Asian cashier didn't speak much English, but she did manage to say "gracias" to the Hispanic employee helping with the groceries. Talk about a multicultural experience!

Speaking of languages, the name of the store was "Le Asia," which includes a butchered usage of French definite articles (and an incorrect spelling, to boot). If the store's goal was indeed to "sound French," its name would be "L'Asie." One of my pet peeves is when people borrow from other languages in an attempt to sound more cool or authentic, but end up misusing the language (e.g. the original "Der Wienerschnitzel"). Who knows, though--maybe "Le" is some Chinese or Korean word.

P.S. Here's the Rose update: She has recently "found her voice," as she is babbling and cooing a bit. She also holds her head up pretty well. She also really knows how to find her food now. She used to just kind of fuss and open her mouth. Sometimes she would turn her head, but it wouldn't always be in the right direction. The other day I felt some little licks in the crook of my arm and she was really turning (in the right direction) and straining to get some food! Oh, I'm also happy to report that she is latching on properly, without any accoutrements! (I mentioned earlier that she wouldn't eat without a plastic shield)

1 comment:

Sevak Tsaturyan said...

Love you and miss you both so much!!!!
Love, Daddy.